Monday, January 4, 2016

Rainbow Room/Our Richmond

The Rainbow room children, parents and teachers took an excursion through the city by bus, from Sabot to the City Hall observation deck. It was an opportunity to explore Richmond from a new perspective- seeing the city from above, or from the window of a slow moving GRTC bus. 
Charlie- I can't wait!  I'm going to close my eyes and dream about this!
Harry - Why are we going on the field trip?
John- To Learn!
Charlie- To see what's there!
What will we see?
Pierce- Buildings
Sam M - Trees, Leaves
Audrey - trees
Charlie - snakes and dinosaurs
Will- Will we make stuff at New City Hall?
How will we get to the observation deck?
"Elevators!" everyone shouts

Once on the observation deck, the children ran around and around, looking out the windows from all 4 directions. 
Earlier, Teachers asked "How will it look from the observation deck?"
Henry - People will look small like ants
Ila - We will see people and babies
Henry - When you go really high the ants will be really really small and you can't see them.  We might see dinosaurs and fossils!


The trip was a happy one. Children talked about what they noticed at circle the next day.
Sammy I heard feet running around
Miles I heard echoes. An echoes is when you say something and it  just bounces off of a wall!
Will I heard 'bum-ba-bum-ba-bum-ba-bum-ba-bum!' (moves his feet in time)
Henry I heard a Camaro!
Pierce I smelled good cooking french fries!
Audrey Cookies! Zoey I smelled ice cream
Ila I smelled bus gas. Elaine Did something surprise you? Pierce A ice skating rink. Harry I saw a dumptruck with stinky garbage. Ila I thought that Mommy was not living there, but her was.(Mommy's office).

We will see what will happen next as the children and adults continue to reflect on the trip and all that they saw, felt, heard and smelled. The teachers will take these threads that the children present and weave a project together with them.

But before the field trip, the children practiced for the ride on the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love dialog! Please give us your thoughts here (unless you're a mean, ugly spammer. Then please go away)